Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Richland, WA
- Industry: Information Technology - Data Architect/Analyst/Administrator
- Type: Full Time
- Compensation: $95,536.67 - 161,610.00 / Year*
- *Organization and Job ID**
Directorate: Energy and Environment
Division: Earth Systems Science
Group: Risk and Decision Sciences
- *Job Description**
We are seeking a Data Scientist to assist in analyzing and implementing data-driven solutions to problems specific to risk analysis projects and programs. The qualified candidate will support the RDS team, which develops strategic approaches in a diverse range of nuclear and other science-related projects, including project risk, regulatory assessments, and engineering alternative studies. This position provides leadership in data analyses and modeling through participation in multidisciplinary teams of scientists and engineers in identifying, analyzing, and implementing solutions to problems in environment, energy, homeland security, and defense. The data scientist will be responsible for leading a team that performs stochastic risk model development and maintenance, compiling, analyzing and interpreting decision support data. The qualified candidate shall demonstrate high skill levels in the following domains:
+ Applies knowledge of statistics, mathematics, simulation, software development, domain knowledge, and data modeling to recognize patterns, address uncertainty, pose relevant questions, and make discoveries from structured and/or unstructured data.
+ Designs, develops, and implements methods, processes, and systems to clean and integrate diverse data for analysis.
+ Designs, develops, and evaluates models/advanced algorithms that lead to insight and/or value extraction from data.
+ Produces solutions driven by exploratory data analysis, often from complex and high-dimensional datasets.
+ Demonstrates ability to transfer skills across application domains.
- *Primary responsibilities include:**
+ Serving as a sponsor interface on interdisciplinary engineering and scientific project teams.
+ Selecting and developing technical approaches appropriate for sponsor challenges.
+ Interpreting and presenting results to identify issues, inconsistencies, and other problems revealed in data analysis.
+ Proactively identifying, promoting, and developing new technical capabilities.
+ Delivering quality technical products with timeliness and cost that meet or exceed sponsor expectations.
+ Providing technical leadership in the development of risk assessments and other work products.
+ Exhibiting personal responsibility for and commitment to continued career development, performing organizational roles, complying with organizational requirements, taking action to ensure personal safety and the safety of others always.
- *The hiring level will be determined based on the education, experience and skill set of the successful candidate based on the following:**
- *Level 3:** Manages small to moderate projects and/or major project tasks. Integrates intellectual and technical capabilities of work teams. Makes key contributions in setting technical direction on projects. Generates ideas for new proposals and participates in business development activities. Has begun developing an external reputation in area of expertise. Enhances technical/professional skills of junior staff through active mentoring and training. BS/BA with 5 years of experience, MS/MA with 3 years of experience, or PhD with 1 year of experience in the candidates technical field.
- *Level 4:** Develops and realizes new significant project opportunities, funding a team of people for a project. Proven track record of peer review publications and participation in events as an invited speaker, along with attracting new work and successfully bringing funds to the lab. Expert in at least one domain and able to connect multiple domains. Experience managing diverse teams of people. Ability to manage business situations and influence positive outcomes. Actively mentor staff and peers across the directorate. BS/BA with 7 years of experience, MS/MA with 5 years of experience, or PhD with 3 years of experience in the candidates technical field.
+ The Risk and Decision Sciences Group Lead (or delegate) for general staff performance and development, operational discipline (e.g., maintaining training qualifications, procedural compliance, safe operations), and promoting cooperation and teamwork within group and projects.
+ Program/Project Managers and Technology Leads for performing assigned project roles and following applicable project and laboratory procedures and performance of assigned tasks on time and within budget.
- *Minimum Qualifications**
+ The ability to obtain a Q Clearance.
- *Preferred Qualifications**
+ BS or advanced degree in engineering, mathematics, statistics, data science, computer science or operations research,
+ Familiarity with Microsoft Project or Primavera P6
+ Knowledge of and practical experience in use of quantitative risk methods and modeling. This would include an understanding of expert elicitation methods, Monte Carlo analysis, and decision tools.
+ The successful candidate will have a range of skills and familiarity with several of the following areas: probability, statistics, decision analysis, risk analysis, modeling and simulation, and mathematical modeling.
+ Must demonstrate attributes of being self-motivated and self-directed and must demonstrate experience in leading technical teams on specific projects and assignments.
+ In addition to analytical skills, a successful candidate will have excellent written and oral communications skills and experience in preparing, reviewing, and presenting the results of complex technical reports and recommendation to senior management and sponsors.
- *Equal Employment Opportunity**
- *_Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. If you are offered a position at PNNL and are currently a participant in a foreign government talent recruitment program you will be required to disclose this information before your first day of employment._**
- *Closing Statement**
+ Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
+ Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
_Directorate:_ _Energy & Environment_
_Job Category:_ _Scientists/Scientific Support_
_Group:_ _Risk & Decision Sciences_
_Opening Date:_ _2020-03-24_
_Closing Date:_ _2020-04-17_
Associated topics: foreign affairs, government, legislative, policy, political science, politics, public affairs, rights
* Estimated salary
More Jobs Hiring Near Me!