Senior Engineer - Capacity Planning
Northwestern Mutual in Franklin, WI
- Industry: Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations - Marketer/Market Researcher/Data Analyst
- Type: Full Time
- Compensation: $56,840.00 - 89,280.00 / Year*
Location: Milwaukee Corporate, WI 001
At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
The Role: The Capacity Planning and Management - Senior Systems Engineer is a role that demands creativity, curiosity and the ability to analyze data to help NM plan, design and run the technology solutions of today and tomorrow.
- Be a capacity planning expert from foundation infrastructure components all the way up to business services.
- Find interesting and actionable data and work within various tools to capture and perform automated statistical analysis of that data.
- Be proficient in building automation through scripting languages.
- Understand system behavior, hyper-visors, and various utilization metrics provided by systems and software.
- Provide clear communication and presentation material to diverse audiences.
- Ability to discover and provide tuning and optimization for systems and software.
- Partner with engineering teams, operations, vendor management, architects and leadership to plan and optimize capacity.
- Ability to work independently yet function within formal teams and to build ad-hoc teams/alliances to solve problems.
- Statistical and mathematical knowledge and the skills to communicate that analysis to a wide audience.
- Strong understanding of system behavior and virtualization technologies.
- Excel and data analysis via whatever tools are available. Ability and desire to learn on the fly.
- Understanding of scaling, queuing theory, and theoretical modeling of system utilization/performance.
- Experience with system and application monitoring and capacity management toolsets are ideal.
- Understand and articulate the differences between capacity management and monitoring along with areas they are related to each other.
- Proficient with Unix/Linux shell scripting with ksh/bash, Powershell, Python, jq, json, YAML, Ansible and/or the ability to learn quickly.
- Possess a moderately deep level of understanding of Windows, Unix (AIX/HPUX), and Linux along with utilities provided within each OS for observability.
- Familiarity with modern development methodologies.
- Experience integrating with and leveraging APIs.
- Agile work management methodologies (SAFE, Kanban) and the ability to manage a complex backlog with frequently changing priorities.
- Strong communication skills; both written and oral - the ability to tell stories.
- Ability to provide deep investigation into system behavior to identify bottlenecks or other capacity and performance concerns.
- Performance testing and analysis experience is a huge plus.
- AWS Cloud Practitioner Certification or equivalent knowledge.
- Solid Knowledge and understanding of typical compute, storage and network hardware underpinning today's data centers.
- Data center infrastructure knowledge isn't required, but a plus.
- Experience with CICD concepts, and tools, branching strategies and leveraging knowledge to assist in delivering an infrastructure as a product.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
* Estimated salary
You may be interested in these similar jobs near Franklin, WI!