Marketing and Communications Director
Chaloner in Sacramento, CA
- Industry: Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations - Marketer/Market Researcher/Data Analyst
- Type: Full Time
- Compensation: $122,215.00 - 144,170.00 / Year*
Shaw Yoder Antwih Schmelzer & Lange (SYASL) is a Sacramento-based firm providing association management, legislative advocacy, and consulting services to a wide variety of clients.
SYASL is a corporation, owned by partners Joshua W. Shaw, Paul J. Yoder, Andrew Antwih, Jason Schmelzer, Karen Lange, and Matt Robinson. Since its inception, the firm has specialized in public sector, transportation and association clients. SYASL currently provides association management services to a variety of groups.
SYASL provides services, under individual contracts, to a wide variety of public, private, and non-profit entities, including to several non-profit trade and professional membership organizations. This position is employed by SYASL and its primary functions are providing services under SYASL?s contracts with three associations.
The Marketing and Communications Director is charged to lead and manage all aspects of marketing and communications services and programs for the Sacramento-based association management and legislative advocacy firm Shaw Yoder Antwih Schmelzer & Lange (SYASL).
The Marketing and Communications Director creates, develops and directs marketing and communication plans, programs, and campaigns. The professional in this position generates and executes long-term strategic public affairs outreach, media relations, social media, and web site strategy in the continuing effort to increase the firm?s and its association clients? brand equity.
This person is responsible for all aspects of marketing and communications including budgeting, managing staff and contractors, guiding electronic publications, website strategy and implementation, ensuring deadlines are met and SYASL and clients? brands are properly represented. This person works closely with SYASL and client leadership in the promotion of association client programs.
This professional in this position should have a strong background in communications, marketing, public affairs, website management systems, writing, and social media. Emphasis on proactive leadership, excellent writing skills, and team building are a must.
Overall this professional serves the organization in a change agent capacity from the standpoint of bringing fresh and innovative thinking that will influence the marketing and communications mediums of SYASL and its association clients to evolve into more brand centric organizations.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Association Services for SYASL, the Marketing and Communications Director develops and lead programs and partnerships with public affairs firms, graphic designers, writers, and website developers.
The Marketing and Communications Director works with the account managers for several the associations and is aided by the appropriate program leads within each client association. Although there are identified reporting relationships, SYASL staff work generally in a team environment, sharing responsibilities and assignments, focusing on objectives established by each association?s boards of directors.
Other Position Requirements
The professional in this position develops editorial budgets, assigns articles, edits and oversees layout and design and distribution for SYASL client electronic publications. It also prepares written reports on program activities, annual program budget, and audits financial results.
In addition, the Marketing and Communications Director:
- Develops and implements marketing and communications programs to enhance awareness of SYASL and its clients -- and to further their respective brands.
- Oversees media efforts and activities. Develops annual marketing and public affairs plan and strategy. Sets timeline for media advisories, press releases, opinion-editorials, press events, etc.
- Develops annual research plan, including member surveys, telephone polling, etc. and brainstorms creative ways for gathering information.
- Continually influences and fulfills brand management responsibilities to ensure that client brands and materials are used appropriately in all circumstances. Responsibility involves providing various logo versions to designers and printers, approving fliers, invitations, brochures, and distributing client?s identity manual.
- Oversees communications to client?s membership and writes web content, various electronic communications, and other media. Writes letters to the editor and opinion-editorials.
- Serves as client?s media representatives, when appropriate, and responds to all media inquiries, according to press deadlines.
- Manages the design and content of the SYASL website and various client websites and produces webinars for clients.
Position is full-time with work hours normally focusing on Monday through Friday, but the position requires flexibility in scheduling to accommodate periodic out-of-town travel and evening meetings.
Although the normal office environment is considered business casual, client interaction often requires more formal business attire. Holder of this position is expected to dress appropriately to meet expectations of client interaction.
This person contributes as necessary to other related activities of SYASL.
Following are representative functions of the position in general priority order:
- Works with a team responsible for, and all aspects of marketing and communication for several association clients of the firm. Responsibilities include engaging, in coordination with firm?s executive staff, team of firm?s support staff and other professionals, including a variety of outside contractors and vendors, as well as volunteer leaders and committees, to deliver exceptional results to the firm?s and its association clients.
- Plans, executes, and evaluates marketing, communications and public affairs programs for the associations. Responsibilities include setting clear objectives to achieve goals, including financial, development budget; accumulating and managing resources within approved budgets to ensure conformance to expense, income and related development goals; guiding association volunteer member planning and program committees; aiding in development of marketing goals and plans, and creation/distribution of marketing programs, materials and solutions; overseeing and carrying out contractor solicitation; reporting progress on goals to association boards and committees; managing and/or working with appropriate SYASL staff and managing contractors to deliver all above.
- Plans, implements, and evaluates marketing, communication, public affairs, social media and web site. Responsibilities include planning, implementing, and evaluating all marketing and communication mediums and strategies; developing and implementing membership-marketing campaigns using direct mail, and/or volunteer motivation; initiating and managing delivery of public relations activities, coordinating new member communications programs and newsletters, and assisting members in becoming actively involved in the associations; support volunteer membership committees; surveying the membership annually on past performance and future needs.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities & Experience
The following are representative skills, knowledge, and abilities required of candidates for the position:
- Skills and demonstrated experience (minimum of three years) in successful marketing and communication management, brand management, production, and execution of marketing and communication programs.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills and exceptional follow-through. Superior communication acumen is a necessity as are strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in successfully managing a marketing organization while effectively working with multiple stakeholders and decision makers.
- Ability to develop, read, and interpret agreements and contracts normally required to manage relevant services and product contractors.
- Basic skills in standard management computer software including word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software. Comprehensive understanding of web site content management systems.
- Ability to organize and lead organization of time and priorities.
- Ability to work independently and within a strong team-oriented environment.
- Ability to effectively present information to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization, in one-on-one and group situations.
- Skills in mathematics and budgetary processes adequate to prepare, track and execute budgets.
The Marketing and Communications Director must have the ability to effectively present information to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization, in one-on-one and group situations. In addition, excellent communication and customer service skills and exceptional follow-through are a must.
A bachelor?s degree in marketing, communications, or a related discipline is necessary; while not required, a graduate degree would be an advantage.
Salary & Benefits
The salary range is market competitive and benefits include full medical, dental and vision benefits for employee and family, life insurance, 401k, paid vacation, etc.
Chaloner has partnered with our client on their search for a Marketing and Communications Director. Interested candidates should apply by using the application form. Chaloner will review all applicants and, upon qualification, contact you to determine next steps.
* Estimated salary
More Jobs Hiring Near Me!