Business Intelligence (BI) Analyst III
Compensation: $67,150.00 - $115,990.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Information Technology
Responsible for analyzing business problems to determine the best way to apply BI capabilities to deliver solutions. Maintains and grows working knowledge of enterprise data assets and data-centric business processes. Leads in the analysis and decomposition of business requirements into technical requirements and testing protocols. Configures BI systems to deliver reports, data visualizations, and other solution components. Provides detailed direction on data handling for data warehousing. Consultant to business units and technical teams for detailed data availability, location, lineage, and quality. Works within the System Development Life Cycle.
- Evaluate business requests for new or modified capabilities to determine feasibility, cost and time required, compatibility with current systems, and computer capabilities.
- Analyze business requirements into technical requirements for reporting/visualizations, data models, and databases. Review technical specifications derived from technical requirements.
- Create and review/approve technical design documents and specifications on change requests and assignments within a project while maintaining documentation and abstracts in conformance with standards.
- Develop reporting for business consumption using a variety of BI tools.
- Provide detailed source analysis and data mappings/transformations to BI developers to implement new data sources and integrations.
- Configure BI systems to deliver BI solutions.
- Devise and deliver testing plans and testing data to validate BI solutions.
- Coordinate user testing for acceptance of BI solutions.
- Deploy and Validate BI solutions ensuring changes follow appropriate Change and Release Management processes.
- Assist development teams with analysis and design for new or existing systems.
- Provide consultancy to business units for detailed information on data availability, location, lineage, and quality.
- Perform data analysis, profiling, and quality assessment to ensure the integrity of business data to necessary levels.
- Assist with complex incident management situations affecting BI capabilities and solutions.
- Review design proposals of other BI Analysts and vendors; as well as, perform reviews on work during various stages of delivery for adherence to current standards.
- Perform peer reviews and mentor less experienced BI Analysts on solution approaches and ensuring conformity to standards and quality.
- Work with technical leads and architects to implement new standards, new technology, and tactical solutions driving the business strategy forward.
- Works within the System Development Life Cycle.
- Monitor the lifecycle of BI systems by being aware of obsolescence and release dates for the product per the System Development Lifecycle.
- Review patch and upgrade information and ensure implementation where appropriate.
- Own problem management process and ensures resolution to completion, including identifying discrepancies between BI systems and developing preventative measures for the long term.
- Track issues and errors, documenting resolutions.
- Act as a liaison between the Company and third-party vendors.
- Demonstrate ability to work under stressful situations and display professional demeanor.
- Ensure that documentation is available for both administrators and users.
- Respond to and resolve reported application, data, or tool issues in a timely manner.
- Identify and resolve advanced application issues using appropriate systems, toolsets, or configuration processes.
- Raise awareness of application, tool and data issues and resolutions with the Customer and appropriate IS personnel.
- Maintain knowledge of standards and quality requirements.
- Periodically participate in groups/committees related to processes, standards and best practices.
- Maintain and enhance technical abilities through online resources such as manuals, periodicals and white papers.
- Review program specifications for completeness and conformance to quality standards.
- Periodically prepare reports for review by project leader/system supervisor.
- Works with minimum supervision and exercises sufficient discretion and independent judgment.
- Maintains confidentiality of information processed, as appropriate.
- Works with architecture group to set direction of design and development standards. Assists with implementation and execution of those standards. Serves as a project leader to ensure quality deliverables and sound design execution.
This position description identifies the responsibilities and tasks typically associated with the performance of the position. Other relevant essential functions may be required.
Must have minimum seven years relevant experience which provides the necessary skills, knowledge and abilities.
SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES (SKA) REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of, and the ability to apply, necessary software development practices and procedures.
- Ability to apply the principles of independent logical thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to comprehend the consequences of various problem situations and to refer them for appropriate decision making.
- Knowledge of relational database concepts.
- Ability to design program logic, prepares test data, and test programs.
- Ability to review business requirements and compare to application for possible deviations from customer expectations.
- Excellent triage, troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Experience working with multi-functional teams to perform complex data analysis, data mapping and support a variety of business intelligence, reporting, analytical and data visualization needs.
- Ability to make competent, independent decisions.
- Understanding of data warehousing methodology, data modeling, model management, data definition language, ETL, databases, business intelligence, metadata management, data profiling, data quality and their processes
- Proven understanding of the SDLC process and project management steps used in IT solutions -- specifically business intelligence solutions.
- Experience working with mainstream BI reporting systems, ETL data integration platforms, and data modeling tools.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, establishes work flows, and meets necessary deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively exchange information clearly and concisely, and present ideas, report facts and other information, and respond to questions as appropriate.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to perform other assignments at locations outside the office.
- Ability to work varying hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays as required.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Understand the need for, and display, a strong sense of urgency while maintaining a high level of quality.
Work is performed mainly in an office environment with minimal hazards. Ability to work extended hours as needed. May be exposed to temperatures which may be cooler than a normal office setting. Travel may be required.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum education, experience, skills, knowledge and ability levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity is valued and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment in any form. Candidates for the position stated above are hired on an 'at will' basis. Nothing herein is intended to create a contract.
Associated topics: business, business analysis, business systems analyst, client, consult, consultant, crm, customer, sap, support analyst
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...