Principal Research Scientist II, Bioinformatics
Compensation: $92,740.00 - $171,740.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Scientific Research
Loading some great jobs for you...
AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-driven biopharmaceutical company committed to developing innovative advanced therapies for some of the world's most complex and critical conditions. The company's mission is to use its expertise, dedicated people and unique approach to innovation to markedly improve treatments across four primary therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, virology and neuroscience. In more than 75 countries, AbbVie employees are working every day to advance health solutions for people around the world. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn .
General Position Summary/Purpose:
- Contribute to multiple stages of development of targeted small molecules by supporting the implementation of scientifically driven development plans, primarily on setting up the strategy and executing on bioinformatics analysis of novel target discovery and biomarkers of interest for various projects.
- Practical knowledge and leadership experiences in experimental designs for preclinical and early clinical drug discovery projects.
Develop, maintain, and refine bioinformatics workflows and analytical tools for preclinical and clinical biomarker data analysis. Current focus of this position is primarily on preclinical discovery biological research.
Practical knowledge of bioinformatics tools and resources, experience with next generation sequencing (NGS) data, various high-throughput omics analysis pipeline development, integrative omics data and cloud computing, and strong background in genomics and molecular biology.
- As a member of our bioinformatics group working with other research scientists in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment to support biomarker investigations and translational medicine.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Providing appropriate experimental design and biospecimen sampling scheme, molecular data analysis strategy and statistical support to identify mechanisms of action or resistance for small molecule therapeutics, identification of novel targets and candidate biomarkers for various programs and projects and other research objectives.
- Working with standard bioinformatics tools, visualization packages, and omics databases/annotations resources.
- Developing and using bioinformatics pipelines to prepare and analyze data, working closely with data engineers in pipeline developments.
- Analyzing and working with NGS data, ideally whole genome and exome sequence data and other omics data etc.
- Interpreting and translating data to biological knowledge.
- Presentation in internal group meetings or external scientific meetings
- Expertise and experiences in experimental designs.
- Demonstrated fluency in UNIX/Linux computing environment (8 years)
- Proficiency in R programming (8 years), other programming skills such as in C/C++ and a scripting language such as Perl or Python would be desirable.
- Familiarity with SAS, JMP or JMP Genomics, OmicSoft ArraySuite are a plus.
- Excellent working knowledge of current best practices in genetic variant discovery and validation methods.
- Strong organizational, written, and communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities.
- A proven track record in scientific publications and invited presentations at major conferences on target discovery and biomarkers.
- Knowledge of cellular and molecular biology, oncology, and drug development processes.
- Enjoys working in a fast paced and highly collaborative dynamic environment with a diverse team to tackle complex problems.
- Eager to learn and think outside the box.
- Is disciplined and driven to deliver ongoing research results.
- Has a positive attitude with a willingness to roll up their sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
- Is highly organized and detail oriented.
- Is a strong written and verbal communicator.
- Has a hard work ethic with emphasis on execution.
Education Requirements (degree, certifications, etc.): Include must have and preferred
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Statistical Genetics/Genomics, Computer Science, Statistics/Biostatistics with strong molecular biology background, and industry experience preferred.
Significant Work Activities
- Experiences in developing small molecule therapeutics for oncology or immunology or immune-oncology
- Strong understanding and proven track record in genomics/genetics technology and applications to clinical development.
Full-timeJob Level Code
MEqual Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Associated topics: bacteria, bio, bioengineering, bioinformatics, biostatistics, biotechnology, genome, microbiology, physical, toxicologist
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...